How to Integrate M&E Services into Slatted & Acoustic Ceilings
Vtec ceiling systems are frequently required to integrate with Mechanical and Electrical (M&E) services, and we are often asked how we do this.
Our Slats, Beams and Acoustic range – SupaSlat, MaxiBeam and Supacoustic systems – can all incorporate different access requirements, service integrations, bespoke geometric shapes and angled ends. Our extensive knowledge and experience in this area enables us to ensure successful integration of M&E elements using a variety of methods to satisfy a full range of needs.
Firstly, we will discuss any important considerations with you or your client, and from these points we will subsequently advise the best way of integrating them into our system.
Key areas of discussion include:
- Fire Detection and Sprinklers
- Access for Maintenance
These areas are explored in more detail under each section below.
Key considerations regarding lighting:
- Light Type – Pendant, Linear, Spots, LED Strips, Ceiling Grid Lights
- Mounting Method – Surface/Flush Mounted, Suspended etc
- Light Dimensions – (W x D x H)
- Approximate positions within the ceiling
- Are the edges of the fitting visible, or do they need to be hidden?
- What level is the light to be installed at in relation to our system?
- Do the areas around the light need to be demountable for maintenance?
- Does the light need to be fixed to the panel, or fixed alongside it or in an opening?
Typical ways to integrate lighting into your ceiling system:
- Precise factory cut outs – for surface mounted lights
- Bespoke openings created in panels – for suspended lights to be hung from the soffit into the opening
- Light boxes built into our panels for spot lights etc
- Pattress provided above the Panel / Beam / Slats for Suspending Pendants or Linear lights (these pattresses are often hidden behind our Acoustic Materials)
- Pattress with cut outs provided to sit above the Beams if you would like to inset the lights
- Grooves incorporated into our Panels / Beams / Slats in which to inset an LED strip
- Complete Ceiling Grid openings left so an entire Ceiling Grid Light can be used
Key considerations for heating, ventilation and air conditioning:
- Grill / Diffuser Type & Size
- Positions/layout within the ceiling
- Are the edges of the fitting visible, or do they need hiding?
- What level is the grill etc to be installed at in relation to our system?
- Do the areas around the grill need to be demountable for maintenance?
Examples of ways to integrate HVAC into your acoustic ceiling:
- Precise factory cut outs in which to inset diffusers
- Simply fit between slats – ideal for some linear grills and diffusers
- Bespoke openings created in panels – for the diffusers & FCU to be hung from the soffit into the opening
- Complete Ceiling Grid modules left so an entire Ceiling Grid Diffuser can be used
3. FIRE DETECTION & SPRINKLERS
Key considerations for fire detection and sprinklers:
- Will the sprinklers/detectors be installed before the Ceiling System?
- What level will they be suspended at?
- What is the size & mounting method?
- Do the areas around them need to be demountable for maintenance?
- positions/layout within the ceiling
- Do you want them to be fixed to the panel, or just fixed alongside it or in an opening?
Typical ways to integrate fire detection and sprinklers into your ceiling system:
- Precise Factory cut outs for the fixtures
- Blank areas left on panels to enable a clear fixing point
- Oversize panels to allow for cutting on site if required due to the Fire systems
- Bespoke Openings created in panels for suspending the fixtures down into
- Pattress provided above the Panel / Beam / Slats for fixing the Fixture to (These pattresses are often hidden behind our Acoustic Materials)
4. ACCESS FOR MAINTENANCE
Key maintenance access considerations:
- How often is access to the void needed?
- Which areas need to have access – is it the whole ceiling, or are some areas not needed?
- Will access hatches be needed, or are just removable Panels or Beams?
- What are the opening sizes required for access so we can co-ordinate the support work?
- What is your selected installation method? (Lift & Shift/Screw-Fix/Click-Fix etc)
Typical ways to integrate access requirements:
- Our Systems can be produced to accommodate a variety of Installation methods, including:
- Screw-Fix (Simply unscrew the Beams or Panels)
- Click-Fix (Click up panels & Beams that simply unclick)
- Fixing Cleat (Unscrew from fixing blocks to remove)
- Lift & Shift (Panels fits into a 600mm x 600mm 24mm Ceiling Grid and can all be demounted)
- Factory Produced Access Hatches to be hinged or hung on site
- Individual Beams or Panels Produced to be removable for access in specific areas
- Panels incorporating services can sometimes be created to be removable if needed
Ultimately, our ceiling systems have been specifically designed to easily adapt to suit your unique project application, as well as deliver strong visual and acoustic impact.
As detailed above, we are able to incorporate M&E requirements such as lighting, HVAC, fire detection and sprinklers and access requirements. At times we have created bespoke adaptions to achieve the best result for the client if required, so if you have any specific technical challenges then please do get in contact. We are always happy to help.
We routinely collaborate on complex projects and will work closely with you to help solve design challenges that may arise, resulting in a top quality finish, smooth installation and excellent end results. Our proven design quality, flexibility and industry expertise make us the perfect partner to deliver your acoustic wall and ceiling solutions.
Please send us a note using the below form, call us on 03307 00 00 30 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.